Request a Fitness for Work Form

Fitness for Work forms (also known as fit notes, sick notes or medical certificates) are not dealt with by the duty doctor as they are not urgent medical issues – despite what your employer may tell you! You can make a routine telephone appointment or use the eConsult tool to request a Fit Note from us.

You do not require a doctor's sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website. Remember, if you are ill just before or during their holiday, you can take it as sick leave instead.

If your employer insists on a note within the first 7 days if an illness, there will be a charge for this. More information can be found: and


Evidence that you are sick

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work. A medical certificate, now called a 'Statement of Fitness for Work’ (see below) from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.


Statement of Fitness for Work - ’Fit Note'

The 'fit note' was introduced on 6 April 2010. With your employer's support, the note will help you return to work sooner by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury.

For more information see the DirectGov website (where this information was sourced)